Monday, April 9, 2012

Welcome Home Parade

Oh, its been a very busy week & to say we're exhausted is truly an understatement, but its a good exhaustion {if that even exsists}.
This past Saturday, 4/7/12 Wes participated in the City of Houston's, "Welcome Home Veterans of the Iraq War" parade. Its was an awesome experience; not only for Wes but for Peyton as well. We invited Wes's brother, Brian and his wife, Melissa with their two boys; Jacob & Jackson to come share in the fun..and it turns out not only was it great to share in the fun, but they also helped me out TONS!


First off Wes {stressed about being late} had us there, parked & ready about 2 hours prior to the march even beginning..lol.


It was okay simply because I'd rather be the early birds than the laters. So, we're there & ready to get this party started. The kids were pumped, but unfortunately Jackson {5yro} was feeling a little crummy {eventually started running a fever;thank goodness Melissa had packed tylenol}. One of the awesome treats the Houston Astros {baseball} gave the participating Soldiers were tickets to that evenings game against the Colorado Rockies. It was a double +..parade, then a baseball game..now thats an awesome Saturday.
Before Wes headed off for formation to prepare for the march he handed out all of our tickets. And I had put Peyton & I's in my back pocket of my jeans {scared to stash them in my over stuffed diaper bag}. Me & the crew headed towards Minute Maid Park's entrance at Crawford {the troops would actually march directly into the park}. I sat Piper down & was getting things together to let her have some lunch & I happen to check my pocket and low & behold..tickets were GONE!
I of course stripped the diaper bag inside out, double checked pockets..looked around our immediate area..still no tickets!

Sister-in-law even double checked me just to be sure I wasn't missing anything...no tickets.
Of course I call Wes & tell him. His response.."oh, Shannon..here let me call you back".
It was kind of a damper on a great day, but what was done was done. I couldn't change it.
Few minutes later its was Wes saying he got 2 more tickets, but he was in formation for the march & I needed to head back to him.
And this is where Melissa saved my life..or least my afternoon.
Rather than me having to pack up kids, and head back up 6 blocks she went and got our tickets.
The parade was great & then we lined up to enter Minute Maid Park for the game.


They did an awesome job! A disabled vet was given a home {mortgage free}. Which was awesome to watch & we even got to see Maj. Gen. Wells throw the 1st pitch of the game.



All in all it was a day of great memories & we hope the parade continues in the future. Even if Wes doesn't participate every year we will definitely share it with the kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment